Interesting. Consumer Reports is weighing in on social media. When one thinks of Consumer Reports, you think of a magazine that rates appliances based on effectiveness and cost, right?
Well, that is true. The organization was founded in 1936 to address problems caused by advertising flooding mass media for the first time. But CR's mission is to empower consumers to protect themselves. What a wide net to cast - and apparently CRs takes its mission very seriously. The magazine is a subsidiary of a non-profit organization - Consumer Union - the world’s largest independent consumer-product testing organization. CU is a member of a larger community actively involved in global consumer protection. Consumer Union seems to fly under the radar with its activity and involvement.
Years ago, I subscribed to Consumer Reports magazine. I take pride in identifying myself as a shrewd shopper. Consumer Reports assisted in many purchases I have made along the way. However with the coming of age of the internet; paying for a subscription seemed silly. After all, I could get reviews on any product with a simple search. The online reviews seem to provide a broader base of users. Consequently, I cancelled my subscription.
Today I saw an article on boston.com that made me thing twice about Consumer Reports. I had no idea it conducted an annual State of the Net survey. The results of the recent survey focus predominantly on Facebook. The findings and guidance mirror what my colleagues/classmates and I presented just this past weekend. Their bottom line: users need to more aware of their activity. They advise parents to be fully aware and involved with their children's online activity including (horrors!) shutting down a Facebook account. (to see Consumer Reports recommendations, click here)
After reading the article and visiting the Consumer Reports website, I think I need to revisit subscribing to the magazine. A subscription is not warranted because of our like-minded thinking on social networks issue. But seeing the bigger picture of what the parent organization is involved in - and how well they have quietly grown up and remain relevant in protecting consumers of all varieties. The work extends into healthcare and finance issues making the organization a very well rounded consumer protection agent.
The $26.00 I spend for an online subscription seems to be a solid investment. Will I benefit from reading the magazine, hopefully - who knows. Will Consumer Reports save the word with its articles? Probably not. But my small financial contribution might allow Consumer Union to continue to work for the consumer beyond the view outside my window. Knowledge is power and that may save the world!
No comments:
Post a Comment